Check out @RonanParke’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/RonanParke/status/484082731979403264
The criteria for addition to alcohol and drugs are diagnosed using the criteria for substance dependence. There are 7 criteria for substance dependence and the person would have to have at least 3 of the criteria within the same year.
- Tolerance- A- a need for increased amounts of the substance to achieve desired effect; B- noticable diminished effect with continued use of the same amount of the substance.
- Withdrawl Symptoms
- The substance is often taken in larger amounts or over a longer period than was intended
- There is a persistent desire or unsuccessful efforts to cut down or control substance use.
- A great deal of time is spent in activities necessary to obtain the substance.
- Important social, occupational, or recreational activities are given up or reduced because of the substance abuse
- The substance use is continued despite knowledge of having a persistent or recurrent physical or psychological problem that is likely to have been caused by the substance.
If you replace the word substance with the word cutting; wouldn’t it fit just perfectly?
- People build a tolerance for self-mutilation. It starts off as just one cut and then one cut is no longer enough. You then need another and another.
- When you do not cut you start building cravings. similar to an individual going through withdrawal.
- The amount of cuts grow as well as the depth. They become dangerously deeper.
- You can not seem to bring down the urge or control it.
- You spend your day seeing ordinary items as useful tools.
- Summer is no longer fun when it is filled with long pants and hooded sweat shirts.
- You know it is wrong, dangerous, and hurtful to others but you do not seem to care.
Venom inside me
Doesn’t let me live freely
Hate inside me
Doesn’t let me smile freely
Doesn’t leave my mind alone
Today is the day to be open about our big secret.
Today is the day to educate the world about our struggle and obsession.
Today is the day to unburden the soul and share our scars because each scar is a story.
Today is the day we wear our symbol and see how many people ask and allow us the chance to truly share.
Today is the day the world is painted in orange.
Today is the day that your struggle finally ends.
Here is a drawing that was submitted to me about depression.