The criteria for addition to alcohol and drugs are diagnosed using the criteria for substance dependence. There are 7 criteria for substance dependence and the person would have to have at least 3 of the criteria within the same year.
- Tolerance- A- a need for increased amounts of the substance to achieve desired effect; B- noticable diminished effect with continued use of the same amount of the substance.
- Withdrawl Symptoms
- The substance is often taken in larger amounts or over a longer period than was intended
- There is a persistent desire or unsuccessful efforts to cut down or control substance use.
- A great deal of time is spent in activities necessary to obtain the substance.
- Important social, occupational, or recreational activities are given up or reduced because of the substance abuse
- The substance use is continued despite knowledge of having a persistent or recurrent physical or psychological problem that is likely to have been caused by the substance.
If you replace the word substance with the word cutting; wouldn’t it fit just perfectly?
- People build a tolerance for self-mutilation. It starts off as just one cut and then one cut is no longer enough. You then need another and another.
- When you do not cut you start building cravings. similar to an individual going through withdrawal.
- The amount of cuts grow as well as the depth. They become dangerously deeper.
- You can not seem to bring down the urge or control it.
- You spend your day seeing ordinary items as useful tools.
- Summer is no longer fun when it is filled with long pants and hooded sweat shirts.
- You know it is wrong, dangerous, and hurtful to others but you do not seem to care.
Today is the day to be open about our big secret.
Today is the day to educate the world about our struggle and obsession.
Today is the day to unburden the soul and share our scars because each scar is a story.
Today is the day we wear our symbol and see how many people ask and allow us the chance to truly share.
Today is the day the world is painted in orange.
Today is the day that your struggle finally ends.
There are so many cases regarding people finding out about cutters. For whatever reason they will see that cut but, I really want to know is it possible that maybe we want people to find out? Somewhere along the cutting spree do we mess up on purpose? Is this our way of asking for help?
I must ask myself did I want to keep my secret forever? Does any of us want to keep that secret or do we secretly wish for someone to see that cut, that one cut that will let us know that help is on the way.
Did I want people to find out about my cutting? Is it possible that I did mess up on purpose and that I wore cuts on certain places to have someone figure out my secret? Was that day that I put myself in the hospital an accident or a semi sub-conscious way of seeking help? Did I secretly want to stop cutting? If yes why after all is revealed was I still cutting myself?
Somewhere along the line I feel that maybe we do mess up on purpose and that we are forced to do something drastic in order to seek help. We are forced to go to the extreme simply because no one noticed how fucked up we are.